📅 23 March 2021 @ 12.30 CET
Smart4RES invites you to its 3rd webinar “Advanced weather forecasting for RES applications: Smart4RES developments towards high-resolution and Numerical Weather Prediction solutions to improve RES forecasting models”.
This webinar will address technological and market challenges in RES prediction and will introduce the Smart4RES strategy to improve weather forecasting models with high resolution.
Through wind and solar applications, Innovative Numerical Weather Prediction and Large-Eddy Simulation approaches will be presented.
- RES are sensitive to high-frequency and very localized variations of the atmospheric flow (wind guts, cloud shadows, fog occcurrence etc.)
- Refining parameterizations used in NWP models is the first step to improve RES prediction
- Getting rid of these parameterizations, for instance using Large-Eddy Simulations (LES), is a promising venue because it allows to resolve most of these small-scale fluctuations.
- The spectacular growth in computing power using GPUs now enable LES based weather prediction below 100m resolution. This is fine enough to resolve the effects of wind turbines, low clouds and turbulence.
- Using ensemble simulations translates atmospheric state inherent unpredictability into a probabilistic view.
- A fourth webinar scheduled in April will complete this webinar on Advanced weather forecasting for RES applications and present how observations data can be used, together with measurements from RES plants, as input to dedicated RES forecasting models to predict the power output of these plants.
Register and Join us online!
Watch the replay!